Cloppenburg Museum Village
The Museum Village was laid out in 1934 by the Cloppenburg schoolmaster Heinrich Ottenjann. It is one of Germany’s oldest open air museums and the biggest in Lower Saxony (15 ha). Main task of the Lower Saxon open air museum is to preserve research and document faithfully in examples the rural monuments of Lower Saxony as well as displaying them.
A round course through more than 50 buildings demonstrates the rural history of Lower Saxony from the 16th century till now. In addition to buildings that represent farming and crafts and the residential homes of farm workers, the museum also has a half timbered church from Klein-Escherde (built in 1698) and a village school from Renslage (built in 1751).
In 2008 the Museum Village has become a station of Niedersächsische Mühlenstraße (Lower Saxon Mill Road), because of the different mills on the premises. A diverse programme and many collections and exhibitions covering folkloristic, cultural, historic and agricultural subjects offer a wide variety of activities for individual guests, groups and families.
- For more information click here:
- Museumsdorf Cloppenburg