(Cloth manufacturer Museum)
The Tuchmacher –Museum Bramsche emphasises the town’s former significance in cloth production. In the 18th century Bramsche’s reputation in cloth production surpassed even Osnabrück. Special about fabric from Bramsche was the colour. The dyer M.A. Wolff (1709-1781) from Thuringia introduced a scarlet red that became famous under the name of “Bramsche Red”. It was mainly used for women’s skirts and uniforms of English and Hanoverian soldiers.
The museum is located in listed buildings formerly belonging to the cloth manufactures guild. Visitors may follow the entire process of cloth manufacturing including combing the wool, dying, spinning and weaving. The individual steps are demonstrated on numerous historic machines.
- For more information click here:
- Tuchmacher-Museum Bramsche